Jeroen DV

Meaning of a negative failure index

Hey,

I'm performing a dynamic analysis on a composite structure and i'm using the hoffman failure criterium to analyse the results.

However i'm finding negative values for this failure index and i can't find anywhere what the meaning of a negative failure index is.

Does this mean i can't draw any conclusions if the index becomes negative and if so, at what value do i need to look then?

Kind regards

Jeroen

Hey, 

So what does it mean than if the failure index becomes negative? Does it mean you can assume the material won't fail between -1 and 1? Or can't you draw any conclusions if it becomes negative and if so, what do you have to draw conclusions in this case?

.out file of the run is attached.

Kind regards,

Jeroen

Bump + BT Right + Left RBE2_004.out

Hi @Prakash Pagadala

Okay that's good to know. We also looked at the strength ratio to get a better understanding of what happens at these negative indices.

However we don't seem to be able to view the strength ratio for a individual ply but only for the entire element.

Does this mean the strength ratio is only an indication for the entire laminate? Is it not possible to find strength ratio's for the plies?