• Announcements

• Rahul Ponginan

Please click here for a short but important announcement   03/26/17

Dear Users Our Commercial and Academic users around the world can use these same forums here as before i.e. the Altair Support Forum , Commercial users from India with solver queries can go to the Solver Forum for India Commercial Users , Academic Users from India and AOC India Participants are requested to go to the Forum for India Academic Users and AOC India Participants , We will be tending to all queries in all the forums promptly as before, thank you for your understanding. 

topology optimization with multiple load cases

Dear all,

I am running a topology optimization, but I want to consider multiple load cases at once and not each one separately.

Is that possible? How can I insert all the load cases (five) and only solve one optimization considering all of them?

Thank you in advance

Thank you!!

So I create the response "weighted compliance" and, in my case of 5 load cases of equivalent importance, I set each weighting factor to 0.2, correct?

And then as usual in the objective I set minimize the weighted compliance, correct?

Thank you!

Thank you for your answers...last question.

What would be the best approach if I want to:

• minimize the volume of the model (or the mass) with multiple load cases and
  • and as constraint use the static stress

Is there a possibility? Or how would you suggest to run the optimization?

Hi Mike,

Stress as a global response with mass or volume response is not recommended

from OptiStruct help:

It is not recommended to use the global stress constraint along with a mass/volume constraint. The constrained mass/volume may not allow the stress constraint to be satisfied.

To start of with, Try with Complinace as objective and volume fraction to get  a concept and further you can fine tune the design for stress and other parameters.

I have a design that is made of several 1D bar elements (about 15) of circular cross section.

I now want to perform a size optimization on the cross section radius of these beams.

I have multiple load cases (3)!

I would like to minimize the mass and subject the stress.

How should I do that?

Thank you