• Announcements

• Rahul Ponginan

Please click here for a short but important announcement   03/26/17

Dear Users Our Commercial and Academic users around the world can use these same forums here as before i.e. the Altair Support Forum , Commercial users from India with solver queries can go to the Solver Forum for India Commercial Users , Academic Users from India and AOC India Participants are requested to go to the Forum for India Academic Users and AOC India Participants , We will be tending to all queries in all the forums promptly as before, thank you for your understanding. 
ahenkes1

[GNA] Post-Buckling of arch plate in Optistruct

Hello

I want to analyse the post buckling behaviour of an arched plate (SHELL Elements) with GNA (Geometric nonlinear analysis, implicit). The model is attached. In another forum (RADIOSS) a similar case was presented, with an pdf file attached, discribing a similar problem :

I am not able to reproduce the results (should be look like this:

A3-1-600x379.png

I tried different parameters for shell thickness, force size, starting load increment size and solver options (Arc, RIKS,...). Sometimes I get nothing at all, sometimes only results up to point A (s. picture above). How can I get post buckling results?

Thank you

PlateTest.fem

Yes, I choose Optistruct as the solver (I think he uses a coupling with RADIOSS). I managed to get closer to the benchmarke when using FORCE as convergence criteria and as method for LINE SEARCH. However, I cant get the area between B and D. It would be usefull to know how to plot correctly, than I could send you my outcomes at this moment.

Hi,

I have several questions concerning the solver deck you send:

1) No buckling occures? I could increase the load, but anyways, I want to get the deflection of the arched plate from the benchmark (post buckling behaviour including area B-D). The model set up for a general GNA is known.

2) Why using NLOAD in this case? Its static anyways.

3) Why including EIGRL in GNA? It isnt used?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

4) How to plot Load time steps over Displacement (Y-X) in Hypergraph?

As I pointed out, it was just a similar problem. I am used to Optistruct and want to use it, as Optistruct should be capable of solving such a problem (it is a non dynamic behaviour I think, because of that no need for RADIOSS?).

There are different sites presenting this, as it is a rather common benchmark:

https://enterfea.com/problems-with-nonlinear-analysis-convergence-read-this/

https://www.comsol.com/blogs/buckling-structures-suddenly-collapse/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JS7dgba2qLc

Similar load path:

https://www.researchgate.net/post/Arc_length_method_for_non_linear_buckling_Nonlin-FEM_in_ANSYS_Is_there_any_way_I_can_continue_the_Simulation_beyond_the_critical_point

And here a different Video with snap-back also:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5Nu5GF_zZk

----------------------

I want to go through the whole deflection path with the model I attached in the original post. Normaly, the RIKS ARC LENGHT method should be able to get all points .... as pointed out before, with 1mm shell thickness I only get up to point A....

I think I got an update, see files attached. I think it could be the solution, but the post processing isnt working as I imagine:

1) also I solved 1700+ time steps, I only get a view (they are actually ordered by deflection size) to e.g. animate the model behaviour (The time steps solved go ++, than --, than ++ again, as supposed, but the time steps in the drope down menu from HyperView are only from 0 to ++, so around 180).

2) again, how to plot time steps (the actual one solved, not the sorted, censored ones) against displacement? (For validation and comparison)

PlateTest.h3d

PlateTest.out

PlateTest.stat

PlateTest.res

PlateTest_rad_s1_0001.out

PlateTest.fem

Another thing, I was using the geometric nonlinear analysis load step, which indeed uses RADIOSS. I will try the Nonlinear quasi static loadstep with large Displacement and report back. 

The post process problem exists anyways, so it would be kind to get help with that. 

Hello,

Know, using NLSTAT, I dont get the expected results. I attached the concerning files. I am not able to plot Load vs Displacement (I cant choose Nodes for either Load or Displacement using h3d, for .res I cant choose Loads as Y reference). Therefore I cant realy say, whether my results are right (as in the Benchmark). The solver doesnt converge at a specific increment, therefore I think he cant go through the whole deflection cuve).

Could you look at the results and try to get a Load vs Displacement graph?

PlateTest.out

PlateTest.h3d

PlateTest.res

PlateTest.fem

"TSTEPNL        7     500     0.0                       1        UPW"

*** ERROR # 1000 *** in the input data:
  Incorrect data in field # 4.

This error I get, no Idea how to go on