• Announcements

• Rahul Ponginan

Please click here for a short but important announcement   03/26/17

Dear Users Our Commercial and Academic users around the world can use these same forums here as before i.e. the Altair Support Forum , Commercial users from India with solver queries can go to the Solver Forum for India Commercial Users , Academic Users from India and AOC India Participants are requested to go to the Forum for India Academic Users and AOC India Participants , We will be tending to all queries in all the forums promptly as before, thank you for your understanding. 
saahirahmad

Scaling factor and units

Question

Hello Y'all, 

I have a question about units on Hypermesh.

So, my problem is that my model in Solidworks is in MMGS, but when I import it into Hypermesh and measure it I see its in meters there. (850 mm in Solidowrks and .85 in Hypermesh). I know I can use the scale factor and scale it by 1000 to get the model in MMGS, but does this mean I will have to change all my data for the material too. I am using the mm, s, Mpa, tonne unit system for data. And what units will my result be in?

Thank You 

Saahir

1 answer to this question

Hi,

You don't have unit selection in HyperMesh. It works with Consistency of unit systems. If you want to change the unit systems ( of the geometry ) , then you can use

File > Import > geometry ( refer Import Option )

Import_Scale_Factor.jpg

The Scaling Factor represents, the unit conversion for geometry by scaling it ( either multiplying or dividing ) & rest of the parameters are specified in Material, properties & Boundary Conditions to define the Unit System. 

Check the value "Scaling Factor", if it is 1 , then it represents "no scaling is done & geometry will have the same unit system as CAD" . Other value will represent respective scaling.

In your case, you want N, mm, Sec, Tonns, MPa etc system, you can scale the geometry to get converted to mm, create isotropic material ( with E in Mpa , rho in tonns/mm3 & U  ) & BC's ( Load in N, Pressure in MPa ). your answer will be in respective units ( Stress-Mpa, Disp-mm, pressure-Mpa, energy-mJ )

If you still have face any problem, then can share your geometry through my drop-box  & contact me on +91 9762962194 for the same.