• Announcements

• Rahul Ponginan

Please click here for a short but important announcement   03/26/17

Dear Users Our Commercial and Academic users around the world can use these same forums here as before i.e. the Altair Support Forum , Commercial users from India with solver queries can go to the Solver Forum for India Commercial Users , Academic Users from India and AOC India Participants are requested to go to the Forum for India Academic Users and AOC India Participants , We will be tending to all queries in all the forums promptly as before, thank you for your understanding. 
    • Abinash

Turbulence Transition Models in AcuSolve 2017   04/17/17

Dear AcuSolve Users,   We are pleased  to inform you that four new turbulence transition model have been released in AcuSolve 2017. Now you can download the PDF format of implementation and validation studies done on both academic and industrial cases.   Enjoy Reading...   Cheers Abinash Implementation and Validation of Correlation-based Turbulence Transion Models.pdf A Comparative Assessment of Correlation-based Transition for Wind Power Applications.pdf

Question

Hello,

I am working on automobile component i.e. EGR coolar. Here task is to Cool hot gas emitting out from engine and to send back to engine by using coolar i.e. ethylene glycol.

EGR coolar has two fluid gas(hot air) & coolant(Ethylene glycol). Each fluid passing from 1 side. It may be parrallel or counter flow.

I am getting inputs from customer like this, I am showing you 2 case as follows:

CASE 1:

Coolant flowing at 90"C @ 1200l/hr @ 2.5Bar-gauge

Exhaust Gas at 450"C @ 150Kg/hr @  2Bar-gauge

CASE 2:

Coolant flowing at 90"C @ 1200l/hr @ 2.5Bar-absolute

Exhaust Gas at 450"C @ 150Kg/hr @  2Bar-absolute

Hence some time I am getting input value of pressure in bar or absolute.

I am giving BC like this:

At inlet I am defining pressure and temperature and at outlet negative flow I am giving.

But I am not understanding how to value of pressure in gauge and absolute?

Regards

Rajendra

BorgWarner Emissions System

2 answers to this question

Hi Rajendra,

As discussed we explained about these below parameters…

1.      Calculate density of working fluid at the particular pressure and temperature and use that in material properties.

CASE 1:

Coolant flowing at 90"C @ 1200l/hr @ 2.5Bar-gauge   -   use  Coolant properties at this temperature and pressure. here pressure is in Gauge, add atmospheric pressure to make it absolute pressure

Exhaust Gas at 450"C @ 150Kg/hr @  2Bar-gauge   -     use  Gas properties at this temperature and pressure. here pressure is in Gauge, add atmospheric pressure to make it absolute pressure

Regards

Ravi Harti

Let us know if you face any difficulties in using AcuSolve.

Hi,

By defining the reference pressure as Atmospheric pressure or zero pressure you can switch between the gauge and absolute pressure.

On coolant inlet side: you are given temperature, pressure and flow rate. In case you are modelling the coolant as incompressible media then you can convert the equivalent flow rate for the pressure and apply the total flow rate at the inlet boundary at given temperature.

Coolant outlet bc will depend on the actual flow path of coolant.

Regards