• Announcements

• Rahul Ponginan

Please click here for a short but important announcement   03/26/17

Dear Users Our Commercial and Academic users around the world can use these same forums here as before i.e. the Altair Support Forum , Commercial users from India with solver queries can go to the Solver Forum for India Commercial Users , Academic Users from India and AOC India Participants are requested to go to the Forum for India Academic Users and AOC India Participants , We will be tending to all queries in all the forums promptly as before, thank you for your understanding. 
Rahul Ponginan

convert a STL mesh file into solid part

Do you know how to convert a STL mesh file into solid part for finite element analysis?
Using stereo-photogrametry tech I have a geometry of the structure in the STL format. Now I try to import it into hypermesh for FEM analysis.
I will appreciate it if you help me.

STL files can be imported into HyperMesh, You need to use File > Import > File type > STL and then choose the file. 

Once the STL file has been imported you can then use Geom > surfaces from FE and select the highest complexity in this panel > select the elements to create surfaces from STL, hence you can create geometry from stl.

To directly solid mesh your STL use ShrinkWrap
You can achieve a good tetramesh for all purposes, using the Shrink Wrap panel. The shrink wrap can generally be used as a quick mechanism to generate solid meshes.

1. Go to 2D > Shrink Wrap panel.
2. Here there is an option generate solid mesh – this will produce an all-hexa or all-tetra mesh based on the selected elements or geometry.
3. Make sure the generate solid mesh checkbox is active
4. This will expose a tet collapse input, please try several input values depending on your quality requirements.

akshaysp.09 likes this

Hi Rahul,

I can't find the following path:

" File > Import > File type > STL "

I can only see the attached options.

My problem: I have a stl mesh file of a simulation programm and want to convert it to a solid and smooth the surface for an analysis in ANSYS.

Can you please help me?

Kind regards

Alex

1.png

2.png

3.png